Adelaide Strikers players will lead the way when it comes to honouring teammate Phillip Hughes in this summer’s Big Bash League.
Final squads for the tournament must be handed in to Cricket Australia (CA) by 2pm AEDT on Friday but the Strikers have been given an indefinite extension to find a replacement for Hughes.
Among the many tributes honouring Hughes following the Australian Test player’s death last week was the decision to retire his one-day international shirt number of 64.
Hughes also wore 64 for the Strikers and it’s unknown whether a similar gesture will be taken at domestic level.
A spokeswoman for the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA) told AAP any tributes towards Hughes will be driven by Strikers players, who will discuss the matter when they get together ahead of their first match at the Adelaide Oval on December 18 against the Melbourne Stars.
The Strikers also have been granted as long as they need to find a replacement for Hughes in their squad.
CA have decided Hughes’s contract with the Strikers will be paid in full to his estate without being included in the calculation of the Strikers’ salary cap for the 2014-15 campaign.
That will mean the Strikers will be allowed to contract another domestic player on a full contract using the money remaining in their cap.
CA have however ruled out allowing the Strikers to sign a third overseas player to replace Hughes.
“It was important that our decision was both fair on the Strikers and the other seven clubs in the competition,” Big Bash League manager Anthony Everard said.
“We feel granting the Strikers salary cap relief and an indefinite extension to contract another non-overseas player on a full contract is the most appropriate outcome.”
The SACA spokeswoman said no announcement on who will replace Hughes in the Strikers’ squad was likely until at least late next week.