Former National Football League star Ray Rice says he wants a second chance with a club that will look beyond a video of him knocking out his future wife.
Rice spoke with NBC’s Today show after winning his appeal on Friday of an indefinite suspension, a reinstatement that makes him eligible to be signed by any team.
With one week remaining in the regular season and numerous teams fighting for a playoff spot, Rice could draw interest from several clubs despite the video made public by TMZ in September that showed him knocking his now-wife Janay unconscious during a February incident at a casino elevator in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Rice, who helped Baltimore win the Super Bowl last year but was released by the Ravens in the wake of the controversy, said the club which would bring him back to the NFL would have to accept that he had “one bad night”.
“I think they would have to be willing to look deeper into who I am and realise that me and my wife had one bad night and I took full responsibility for it,” Rice said on Tuesday.
Rice was originally handed a two-game suspension by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for the incident, one criticised at the time as too lenient.
But once the video was made public, that ban was turned into an indefinite suspension by the league, a second punishment for the same violation that was ruled improper last week on appeal.
“One thing about my punishment and everything going along with anything that happened is that I have accepted it,” Rice said.
“I went fully forward with it. I never complained. I never did anything like that. I took full responsibility for everything that I did.
“And only thing I can hope for and wish for is a second chance.”